The Faculty of Arts is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy in the Department of Literature for a
Doctoral Grant by the University Research Fund (BOF) in the area of Film Studies
Research Centre for Visual Poetics
Research project: ‘The state of the nation in Belgian cinema’
This research project aims at a critical investigation of the relationship between cinema and (trans)national identities in Belgium. The project makes use of textual film analysis, industrial and policy analysis, and reception analysis. More information can be found here.
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of Film Studies.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment.
- You contribute to teaching and research in the department of Literature and the Research Centre for Visual Poetics.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master degree in Film Studies or related fields of study. Other degrees (e.g. literature, theatre studies, history, communication studies, art history, etc.) are eligible if you can demonstrate sufficient expertise in the relevant research area.
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- Students in the final year of their degree can also apply.
- Foreign candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You have a thorough knowledge of Dutch, English and French.
- You have a great interest in empirical research (textual and contextual film analysis) and in theory building.
- a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal for a further two-year period after positive evaluation;
- the start date of the scholarship will be between October 1st 2019 and October 1st2020;
- a gross monthly grant ranging from € 2.373,36 to € 2.516,73;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date August 11th 2019 and should include a copy of your CV and a cover letter.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place between August 20th and September 12th 2019.
- More information about the online application form can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Gertjan Willems, Tel. 032654294 email@example.com.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.